Instruction in the 21st Century Classroom
Higher Order Thinking Skills
Open-Ended and Closed-Ended Questions
What is 21st Century Mathematics?
What is the Collaborative Classroom?
Learning Point Associatiates
What is Think-Pair-Share?
Why Consider Collaborative Writing?
The Making of a 21st Century Educator
Harvard Graduate School of Education
A one-page chart
Marzano's Dimensions of Learning Model
1. Instruction must reflect the best of what we know about how learning occurs.
2. Learning involves a complex system of interactive processes that include
various types of thinking, represented by the five dimensions: Attitudes and Perceptions, Acquire and Integrate Knowledge, Extend and Refine Knowledge, Use Knowledge Meaningfully, and Habits of Mind
3. Curriculum programs should include the explicit teaching of attitudes, perceptions, and mental habits that facilitate learning.
4. A comprehensive approach to instruction includes both teacher-directed and student-direction instruction.
5. Assessment should focus on student's use of knowledge and complex reasoning processes rather than on their recall of information.
Marzano's Instructional Strategies
Cherry Creek School District, Colorado
Describing 16 Habits of Mind by Arthur L. Costa, Ed.D. and Bena Kallick, Ph.D.
A 14-page article
Backward Design: A Unit and Lesson Plan Development Model That Integrates Curriculum, Assessment, and Instruction
A 7-page pdf that summarizes Understanding by Design by Grant Wiggins and Jay McTighe
What is Backward Design?
Chapter 1 of Understanding by Design by Grant Wiggins and Jay McTighe
Edgar Dale's Cone of Learning
An 9-minute video overview at Edutopia
What is it? How do I do it?
The Pedagogy of Poverty Versus Good Teaching by Martin Haberman
An 8-page article
"Overcoming a Pedagogy of Poverty" by Helen Hodges in More Strategies for Educating Everybody's Children by Robert Cole
A chart summary comparison
U.S. Dept. of Ed. Online Workshops - Teacher-to-Teacher Initiative
(PowerPoints and Handouts from 107 Workshop Sessions)
Emerging Perspectives on Learning, Teaching, and Technology
Links to summaries of Learning Theories, Instructional Models, and Strategies
WVDE Teach21 Blog
WVDE Teach21 Wiki
WVDE K12 Education Blogs
Site developed and maintained by ©2006 Janet Benincosa